Our 2.7 TD V6 Discovery project is now complete and has been a rip roaring success! We have transformed the V8 300 series Discovery into a diesel burning monster!
Our Project Discovery 300 Series V8 Petrol
Our newly purchased Discovery V8 Petrol conversion vehicle ready to undergo surgery, we chose the V8 petrol as they are readily available at affordable prices and the gearbox is well suited to the TD V6 engine conversion.
Transfer Box and Driveshafts Removed
The Driveline components removed in order to gain access to the gearbox and remove the V8 engine.
The Old V8 Removed
The V8 engine removed leaving plenty of space underneath the bonnet for the new powerplant.
V8 Auto Gearbox
The 4HP22 Gearbox removed from our Discovery, we decided to use the original V8 automatic gearbox and have a adapter manufactured as the auto gearbox were more content with the new TDV6 powerplant than the other gearbox options available.
The TD V6 Powerplant Arrives
The TDV6 arrives, freshly removed from a Discovery 3. ready to transplant.
What a Difference a Decade Makes!
The petrol V8 and TD V6 side by side showing how much smaller the TDV6 is compared to the V8.
The Manufactured Gearbox Conversion Adapters Arrive.
The bell housing and torque convertor adapters arrive , both the torque convertor adapter and the bell housing adapter are designed and manufactured from aluminium by CNC machining.
The bell housing adapter fitted to the engine, using Aluminium helps to keep the rotating mass of the driveline components to a minimum. These adapters and more conversion components will be available to purchase to help make the conversion as seamless as possible.
The ECU and Wiring Loom
The BodyLogic ECU and wiring loom as supplied the only other component we require from you is the engine wiring loom to modify in order to make the wiring system a plug and play affair.
The New Engine Fitted Perfectly
After a few slight modifications to the engine bay as follows the engine fitted perfectly. We were even able to use the original chassis mounts with new engine mounts manufactured to fit the engine.
Although we decided to move the steering box a couple of inches forward rather than repositioning the alternator, but all this was achieved in a couple of hours and was a simple retro fit using a slightly longer defender steering shaft.
We used the original Discovery 3 thermostat housing but upgraded to a TD5 radiator and intercooler which easily plumbed into the engine. We also located a Discovery 3 fuel filter and purchased a fuel cooler.
The final fitting of the engine and modification of the exhaust, water and fuel systems complete, it fits so well its like its meant to be.
The Finished Project
The First Test Drive
Contact Us For Details